Kevin Lederhos Selected as Helicopter Maintenance Magazine’s 2014 Helicopter Mechanic of the Year
Helicopter Maintenance magazine announces that Kevin Lederhos has been selected as the recipient of its 2014 Helicopter Mechanic of the Year Award.
53 year old Lederhos, from Tumwater, WA, is lead mechanic for Northwest Helicopters LLC in Olympia WA. Lederhos was presented with a trophy and a check for $7,000 at HAI Heli-Expo on March 4.
Northwest Helicopters’ CEO Brian Reynolds nominated Lederhos for the award. “Kevin started his mechanic career at the age of 18 and became a licensed A&P shortly after,” says Reynolds. “He has done nothing else in his adult life besides work on helicopters. As we go through our careers in aviation, we really only see two types of individuals – ones that see working in aviation as their job and ones that see it as their passion. Kevin is truly passionate about helicopter maintenance.”
Lederhos is an A&P mechanic with more than 30 years aviation experience and management including:
• Field experience in remote locations including villages of the Yucatan in Mexico, U.S. fire contracts and logging operations.
• Lead mechanic on at least 18 helicopter type certifications with “ground up” restoration including Bell 205 (UH) series, Sikorsky (S58T & HH52) and Kaman HH-43.
• Completed and /or assisted in repairs related to service use, phase/ 100hr/ annual inspections on Bell UH-1 series, Kaman (Kmax and HH-43), Sikorsky (S58T and HH-52), Hughes 500 and Hiller 12E helicopters.
• Proficient at troubleshooting airframe and electrical systems.
• Proficient with weight and balance data and weighing of aircraft.
• Extensive knowledge of the Honeywell T53 series engines.
• Familiar with P&W PT6 series engines.
• Experienced in performing sheet metal repairs, performing hundreds of minor and major repairs.
• Knowledge of materials and practices.
• Proficient in FAA form 337 applications and submissions.
• Good working relationship and extensive experience with FAA ACO, PMI’s, DER’s and DAR’s for repairs, original certifications and continued airworthiness.
“We are proud to present this award to Lederhos,” says Helicopter Maintenancepublisher Greg Napert. “Thanks to the participation of our generous corporate sponsors, we are able to present this award to a well-deserving helicopter maintenance professional each year.”
Helicopter Maintenancemagazine’s Helicopter Mechanic of the Year Awardis presented each year to a dedicated helicopter maintenance professional whom has contributed significantly throughout their lifetime to helicopter safety and has an exemplary record of service to the helicopter industry.
The recipient is selected from nominations submitted to Helicopter Maintenancemagazine’s advisory committee. The award winner is presented with a trophy and a check comprised of donations by sponsor companies that support recognizing excellence in helicopter maintenance. This year, $7,000 was awarded to Mr. Lederhos. Corporate sponsors include Safran Turbomeca, Helicopter Specialties Inc., Cool City Avionics, Concorde Battery, Dallas Airmotive, DynCorp International, Airbus Helicopters, Sandel Avionics, Vector Aerospace, Greenwich Aerogroup, Night Flight Concepts, Pratt & Whitney Canada, MD Helicopters Inc. and Helicopter Maintenance magazine.