Director of Maintenance
The aviation group is a diversified helicopter company with an
approved Part 133, 135, and 137 Flight Operations in the Central Coast, CA
area. We are seeking a seasoned Director of Maintenance to oversee the
maintenance of our fleet of rotary wing aircraft to the highest degree of
safety and in a cost-efficient manner, and with the necessary qualifications to
serve as Director of Maintenance for our FAA Part 135 operations. The Director of Maintenance is an integral part of our
management team and is fully responsible for overseeing maintenance of all
company aircraft, maintenance personnel, FAA certifications and the maintenance
budget. The Director of Maintenance will exemplify the company#8217;s core values
(safety first and excellence always, profitable growth and superior client
relations) and will demonstrate leadership and professionalism at all times.
Instrumental to success in this role will be a positive attitude and
unrelenting proactivity. This position will be responsible for achieving
measured performance targets and only candidates who possess the required
experience, skill and #8220;positive attitude#8221; should apply.
- Manage all aspects of aircraft maintenance and ensure all work is scheduled and performed in a safe and efficient manner. The helicopter company currently operates and must maintain MD 500s, Bell 206 and 47s.
- Continually strive for the highest standards of quality as prescribed by FAA Regulations and Safety standards.
- Supervise maintenance staff, which includes reviewing employee performance, providing guidance and instruction, generating assignments, priorities and setting schedules (including evening, weekend and holidays to provide superior coverage and support to flight operations)
- Ensure proper economic levels of aircraft spares, stocks, special tools and test units and maintain equipment maintenance schedules on all company assets and equipment.
- Ensure availability of materials, anticipating requirements and reordering in a cost-effective and timely fashion.
- Develop and review work orders regarding modifications and/or upgrades to aircraft systems.
- Drive compliance with all regulations for aviation maintenance operations and inspection functions while ensuring regulatory changes are incorporated into company processes.
- Read and interpret manufacturers' and company's maintenance manuals, service bulletins, technical orders and other specifications to determine means of compliance and method of repairing or replacing malfunctioning or damaged components
- Provide the Management Team with regular projections, inclusive of planned fleet downtime, estimated costs (man hours), inventory expense and operational coordination.
- Develop aviation maintenance strategies by analyzing department costs and maintenance forecasts and incorporating proactive tactics into the business plan; determining resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; establishing requests for capital expenditures; and developing budgets that maximize safety and control cost.
- Establish and maintain records and technical manual currency as required by the all relevant policies, regulations and needs of the organization.
- Continually improve vendor/supplier relationships, contracts and support services, and lead the selection and vetting of maintenance vendors.
- Maintain high morale through an awareness of company policies, employee development programs and periodic department meetings for two-way communication
- Establish an environment and expectation where comments, concerns and suggestions by maintenance personnel will be handled appropriately and shared with the management team
- Work with the Chief Pilot to cultivate a team driven environment between maintenance and flight crew personnel. Camaraderie should resemble strong, unified pilot/maintenance crew team relationship
- Nurture a safety culture by maintaining open communication; participating in company safety teams and the use of safety systems (SMS) and monitoring safety performance.
- Establish and regularly revisit a natural disaster and contingency plans to protect personnel, aircraft and facilities and ensure aircraft readiness if and as available.
- Schedule, coordinate and/or conduct training programs for all maintenance personnel.
- Champion the cleanliness / professional appearance of maintenance facility and shop areas
- Ensure sub-surface (underneath cowlings, access panels, etc) cleanliness/appearance on aircraft
- Attract and maintain a highly skilled and engaged workforce by recruiting, selecting, and developing talent; supporting mentorship, workforce development, and succession planning.
- Cultivates an environment where employees respect and adhere to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all practices.
- Must have thorough knowledge of commercial aviation maintenance practices and regulations for maintaining rotorcraft aircraft IAW manufacturer#8217;s recommendations.
- Expert level knowledge of Federal Aviation Regulations and aviation safety standards
- Must possess 10+ years in aviation maintenance with 3-5 years of supervisory experience in the administration of FAA Part 135 operations. Part 145 experience is valuable as well.
- A Bachelor#8217;s Degree from an accredited institution is highly desirable. Focus in aviation management, aviation maintenance, and/or professional aeronautics preferred.
- Must possess current & valid FAA A&P mechanic certificate (airframe & powerplant rating) and have held these ratings for 7 years minimum. Inspection Authorization endorsement as well
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of experience within past 6 years maintaining aircraft as a certificated mechanic, including experience maintaining same category and class of aircraft operated by the hiring company (MD500, B206, B47, and Soloys )
- Prior military aviation rotary wing maintenance leadership experience is also desirable.
- Experience in the maintenance and airworthiness of aircraft with experimental airworthiness certificates. Familiarity with and knowledge of aerial camera systems and associated equipment (aircraft mounts, displays, etc.) is also of benefit.
- Proven leadership, management and time management skill through a track record of demonstrating adaptability to change and ability to respond to challenges in an evolving environment.
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees throughout any organization.
- Computer proficiency to include Microsoft Office Suite and mobile/tablet based applications, and recent use/familiarity with electronic aviation operations management systems.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, projects and tasks and the proven ability to set priorities, communicate objective and meet deadlines
- Possess calmness under pressure and ability to convey professionalism to client and colleagues
- Willingness to fly in repaired aircraft to diagnose and/or conduct return to service flights
- Willingness to support after-hours, weekend and holiday operational needs and work extended, sometimes irregular, and on-call hours. Willingness to travel in support of off-site maintenance.
- Seeking a result-oriented commitment to the continuing evolution of our maintenance program
- Must submit to and be capable of passing a required drug test
- Must currently possess and must maintain a valid Driver#8217;s License.
- Must be a legal resident of the USA